ATLANTA - After watching their goalie inexplicably collapse to the ice in the opening minutes, the Atlanta Thrashers bounced back to beat the Washington Capitals 4-2 on Friday night behind two goals from Evander Kane.
OTTAWA - Derek Roy scored his second goal of the game on a power play midway through the third period to send the Buffalo Sabres on to a 2-1 victory over the Ottawa Senators on Friday night in the season opener for both teams.
DETROIT - Mike Modano scored on his first shot with his hometown team 24 seconds after Johan Franzen's goal early in the first period and the Detroit Red Wings went on to beat the Anaheim Ducks 4-0 on Friday night in the season opener for both teams.
NEWARK, N.J. - Loui Eriksson scored two goals, including the winner 1:36 into overtime, to give the Dallas Stars a 4-3 victory over the New Jersey Devils on Friday night in the season opener for both teams.
ATLANTA - Atlanta Thrashers goalie Ondrej Pavelec was in stable condition at a hospital Friday night after collapsing to the ice in the early minutes of the season-opening game against the Washington Capitals.
- Sharks beat Blue Jackets 3-2
- NYR look to bounce back from non-playoff season
- Rookie Jeff Skinner leads Hurricanes past Wild 2-1
- Bruins sign F Patrice Bergeron to 3-year extension
- Eberle scores 2 goals for Oilers in NHL debut
- Stastny leads Avs to 4-3 OT win over Blackhawks
- Giguere leads Leafs to rare home-opening win
- Flyers, rookie goalie ruin Pens' arena debut, 3-2
- Flyers D Chris Pronger out vs. Penguins
- Thrashers hope ex-Hawks bring winning attitude
- Steve Yzerman's enjoying new gig as Lightning GM
- Hurricanes hold out Wild 4-3 in NHL season opener
- Red Wings are rested, ready to roll this season
- Raptors handle Suns 129-78
- Devils place Salvador, Salmela on injured reserve
- Oilers loan Sheldon Souray to Hershey of AHL
- Familiar faces everywhere as Capitals open season
- Red Wings' Maltby can play in the minors or retire
- Crosby's touch evident as Penguins open new arena
- New faces for Blackhawks as Cup defense begins
- Detroit Red Wings put F Kirk Maltby on waivers
- Blue Jackets beat Malmo Redhawks 4-1 in exhibition
- Nashville sends Parent to Canucks for O'Brien
- Flames sign Morrison to a 1-year deal
- Thrashers move Dustin Byfuglien back to defense
- Ducks beat Kings on Selanne's OT goal
- Kopecky, Toews lead Blackhawks past Blues
- Ward's 2 goals lift Predators over Capitals
- Smyth lifts Kings to 3-2 win over Avalanche
- Kaberle, Versteeg lead Maple Leafs past Red Wings
- Plekanec, Pouliot lift Canadiens past Islanders
- Smith, Kelly hat tricks lead Senators over Rangers
- Sharks rally to beat Adler Mannheim in shootout
- Comeau lifts Isles over Devils in preseason finale
- Filatov's second goal sends Columbus over Atlanta