‘Banned’ Mohammad Asif determined to clear his name, play for Pak againBy ANI
Wednesday, February 23, 2011
KARACHI - Pakistan fast bowler Mohammad Asif, who has been banned by the ICC over spot-fixing charges, has said that he is determined to clear his name and to recommence his career as soon as possible.
An ICC anti-corruption tribunal, chaired by Michael Beloff, had found Asif, Salman Butt and Mohammad Asif guilty of charges relating to spot-fixing in the Lord’s Test match between England and Pakistan played in August last year.
A sanction of seven years ineligibility was imposed on Asif, two years of which are suspended “on condition that he commits no further breach of the code and that he participates under the auspices of the Pakistan Cricket Board in a programme of Anti-Corruption education”.
“I’m bitterly disappointed with the verdict that was announced in Doha. I am determined to totally clear my name and to get back to what I love doing and that is playing cricket for my country,” PakPassion.net quoted Asif, as saying.
The 28-year-old further said that it was extremely painful for him to be sidelined for the World Cup.
“It’s tough watching the boys on television and not being part of the team. I find it really painful to watch and it really hurts that I’m not there at the World Cup with my team mates, playing for Pakistan,” Asif said.
“It’s every cricketer’s dream to take part in tournaments such as the World Cup and I am no different. It would have been an absolute honour to wear the green of Pakistan and help the boys bring the trophy home,” he added. (ANI)