Rooney ‘formally’ apologizes to Manchester United fans over contract fiascoBy ANI
Friday, November 26, 2010
LONDON - Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney has finally issued a public apology to the club’s supporters over his contract controversy last month.
Rooney made his apology after celebrating his first start for United in two months with the goal in Wednesday’s 1-0 Champions League win over Rangers.
“I feel like I have apologized to the fans, but everyone keeps saying I haven’t. If that is the case, then I apologize for my side of things,” the Sun quoted Rooney, as saying.
The 25-year-old had originally said that he was quitting United as he questioned the investment in the squad and the club’s ambition.
He changed his mind following talks with manager Sir Alex Ferguson, Chief Executive David Gill and the club’s owners, the Glazers.
“They reassured me the club was moving forward and from that it took maybe two or three hours to negotiate my contract and sign it,” Rooney said.
“I have made it clear since I signed my contract that I am committed to this club for the long term and I want to be successful with this club,” he added.
Rooney has signed a new five-year contract, which makes him the highest-paid player at United, overtaking defender Rio Ferdinand.
The striker, who was previously on 90,000 pounds per week, is now understood to be earning a basic salary in excess of 150,000 pounds per week. (ANI)