Eto’o scores brace in Inter Milan’s rally against Roma

Saturday, August 21, 2010

MILAN - Samuel Eto’s scored a second-half brace Saturday to complete Inter Milan’s rally as they beat Roma 3-1 to win the Italian Supercup.

Norwegian John Riise put Roma ahead at Milan’s Giuseppe Meazza, but Macedonian Goran Pandev levelled before the break, and the Cameroonian forward scored twice off assists from Argentine Diego Milito.

It was the fourth Supercup match between two sides in the last five years. Inter are now level with AC Milan on five triumphs as new coach Rafael Benitez celebrated his debut with a trophy.

The Nerazzurri closed the past season winning the European and Italian titles and beating Roma in the Italian Cup final under Jose Mourinho.

A prompt shot by Riise put Roma ahead on 21 minutes off a deep feed from Francesco Totti that allowed the Norwegian to fire past Julio Cesar, after having the better of Inter’s central defenders.

Romanian Bogdan Lobont filled in for injured Brazilian Julio Sergio and only had to save a central drive from Douglas Maicon before a collective blunder from Roma’s defence on 42 minutes allowed Goran Pandev an easy flick.

Dutch midfielder Wesley Sneijder threatened with a low cross and two missed drives before having a further effort saved before the break, while strikers Diego Milito and Samuel Eto’o still seemed far from their best form.

The Rome side’s captain Totti displayed his play-maker skills on 10 minutes, when he sent Mirko Vucinic away into the area, but the Montenegrin failed to angle his shot and allowed a deft deflection from Brazilian Julio Cesar.

Five minutes later, Frenchman Jeremy Menez fired wide past the far post after a break on the right flank, as Roma prevailed in midfield through low and fast passing schemes often finished off by defence-splitting feeds.

Inter seemed to have lost some of the lustre they displayed last season and suffered as Menez opened the second half by narrowly missing a volley inside the area and having another effort blocked on 54 minutes.

More threats for the Inter goalkeeper came from a searing free kick by Riise and a milder drive from Marco Cassetti before Milito on 70 minutes squared from the right for the deflection from Eto’o.

After a brief interruption due to smoke bombs hurled by Roma fans, Inter confirmed their switch of gears as the Cameroonian’s second goal on 81 minutes sealed their win.

Lobont only managed to graze the ball with his boot as Eto’o fired by the closest post, off another feed by Milito.

Brazilian striker Adriano came on for Vucinic shortly before Eto’s first goal, returning to the pitch where he played with Inter until 2009, but appeared to be far from his best form.

Filed under: Soccer

Tags: ,
will not be displayed