Give proof of 2007 SA-Pak Lahore match being fixed or face legal action: PCB to ArthurBy ANI
Saturday, November 6, 2010
KARACHI - Hitting back at former South Africa coach Mickey Arthur over his claims that a 2007 One-day International against Pakistan in Lahore might have been ‘fixed,’ the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has asked him to either prove his claims or face legal action.
“PCB has noted with concern the statement of former South African coach Mickey Arthur insinuating that a One-day International played at Lahore between Pakistan and South Africa in 2007 was fixed,” The News quoted the PCB statement, as saying.
“PCB has decided to immediately serve a legal notice on Mickey Arthur asking him to share with PCB any evidence in this regard,” said the statement.
It further warned that if he failed to provide any evidence in this regard, the “PCB and Pakistani players reserve the right to initiate legal proceedings against Arthur including but not limited to seeking unqualified apology, retraction and damages.”
“PCB reiterates that it has a zero tolerance policy towards corruption in Cricket and will deal with any news concerning Pakistani Players with utmost importance and due care,” the statement concluded.
PCB’s legal advisor Taffazul Rizvi said that he would send a legal notice to Arthur first thing Monday morning. It is a stern move from a board that is often accused of inaction over major issues like the menace of match-fixing, the paper said.
Earlier this week, Arthur had created quite a stir by saying in an interview that he and his players suspected that a series-decider between Pakistan and South Africa at the Gaddafi Stadium in Lahore was ‘fixed’.
“There was a strong suspicion of match-fixing and it took some of the gloss off the series win,” Arthur had written in his book earlier.
“We did not have any proof, but when you have been involved in the game long enough you know when something is not right,” he had added.
Meanwhile, Shoaib Malik, who was Pakistan’s captain in that series, has rejected Arthur’s claims as rubbish.
“His (Arthur’s) claim is ridiculous and I don’t understand why after all these years he suddenly remembered this now. I am really disappointed with his statement because I remember we were shattered after losing that match as we were in a strong position,” Malik said in an interview.
“How seriously can you take such a statement after all these years? If they had suspicions, why did they keep quiet? He (Arthur) should have gone to the ICC anti-corruption unit. Why try to defame Pakistan cricket now?” he lamented. (ANI)