Factfile on Commonwealth Games overlaysBy IANS
Friday, December 24, 2010
NEW DELHI - The following is a factfile on overlays, which have become the talking point after the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) Friday raided two residences of Commonwealth Games Organising Committee chief Suresh Kalmadi in New Delhi and Pune, and also of his brother in Mumbai.
* The term overlays means a variety of temporary fittings, fixtures and equipment required for competition and non-competition venues. These include marquees and tents; temporary structures for ticket booths, spectator services and security checks; portable cabins, furniture and fixtures.
* The union cabinet had approved Rs.687 crore ($152 million) for overlays in the Organising Committee (OC) budget for the October 3-14 Commonwealth Games.
* The Organising Committee had initially proposed a budget of Rs.948 crore for the overlays. But the sports ministry, in consultations with the OC, brought it down to Rs.687 crore.
* The expenditure finance committee headed by the finance secretary also recommended a budget of Rs.687 crore.
* Apparently, the Organising Committee had been demanding that the overlays budget be given as a grant and not as a loan.
* The Chief Information Commission (CIC) had asked the Organising Committee to withhold disclosure of controversial contracts and agreements entered into with overlays suppliers after the CBI stated that revealing the information would impede its probe.