Decision to dump Hussey would hurt Oz World Cup campaign: Steve WaughBy ANI
Sunday, February 27, 2011
SYDNEY - Former Australian captain Steve Waugh has described the selectors’ decision to dump batsman Michael Hussey from the World Cup squad as “staggering”.
Hussey was dumped after being considered too big a risk following his surgery on a hamstring tendon last month.
“If Mike Hussey could have been fit to play in the tournament, he should have gone away. I’m sure Ricky would’ve wanted him to go away with them; his experience is invaluable, particularly on the subcontinent wickets, and he plays spin well. I was staggered he wasn’t picked,” the Age quoted Waugh, as saying.
Waugh further said that the 35-year-old should have been given the same opportunity as Andrew Symonds four years ago to regain fitness at the World Cup.
“They did it last time with Andrew Symonds when he went over with a biceps injury even though he needed to be rested for the first few games,” Waugh said.
“Michael Hussey is one guy who would’ve really committed himself to getting fit. The selectors though, must have heard something, but there are three or four guys sitting on the bench over there and not playing, and Hussey could have been one of them.”
“Time will tell if the selectors made the right decision. They have to go with their gut feeling,” he added. (ANI)