‘Back to best’ Lee fires ODI comeback hopesBy ANI
Saturday, October 30, 2010
SYDNEY - Australian fast bowler Brett Lee put in an impressive domestic performance for New South Wales to suggest that a national one-day recall could be on the cards.
Lee, continuing his comeback after a six-month lay-off with an elbow injury, took 2-43 from nine overs to guide the Blues to a six-wicket win over Queensland Bulls on Friday.
The 33-year-old moved freely and bowled with genuine pace and grabbed the wickets of Lee Carseldine, who played-on, and Craig Philipson who was caught behind, News.com.au reports.
Lee has not played any ODI for Australia since October last year.
The Australian’s career has been plagued by fitness problems, ranging from a side strain and elbow surgery to a broken thumb and a forearm injury.
Earlier, chairman of selectors Andrew Hilditch has said that Lee needs more cricket after a six-month layoff with an elbow injury.
Hilditch’s comments come after Lee was not included in the national squad for next month’s three-match series against Sri Lanka.
“It’s not something he’s particularly happy with, he thinks he’s ready to go. But we still feel after a very long period off with injury, and then to come back on pretty limited preparation to what is really three one-day internationals in six days, I think is just a bit too much at this stage,” Hilditch said.
The chairman of selectors however said that Lee remained “very much” in contention for the World Cup on the subcontinent in February.
“He’s making really good progress and seems to be back bowling really well. We’re hoping he’ll be fully fit and roaring to go for the World Cup,” Hilditch said. (ANI)