Hamilton accuses Renault of hold-up tactics, targets competitive 2011 startBy ANI
Monday, November 15, 2010
ABU DHABI - Former Formula One champion Lewis Hamilton has accused Renault of helping Red Bull, who use Renault engines, by holding up McLarens during the course of Sunday’s final race, which German Sebastian Vettel won to nail this year’s championship.
“It was impossible to get past [Renault driver Robert] Kubica, he made it as difficult as it could be, so I guess that’s what happens when you have a couple of other ’step-teams’ in the field,” The Sun quoted Hamilton, as saying.
Hamilton said McLaren aimed to get off to a competitive start in 2011 after he and Jenson Button finished second and third in the season’s final grand prix.
“It’s not been the most spectacular season for us, but we ended it on really quite a high, for us both be on the podium and to clinch second in the constructors. Hopefully, next year, our car will be even better and we’ll be able to compete from the first race onwards,” said Hamilton, who won three Grand Prix races in 2010.
Hamilton, champion in 2008, finished fourth in the drivers’ championship. Last year’s world champion Button, who won two races, was fifth.
“We would have liked to have had a better year. Jenson and me have been pushing the team all year long, and they never gave up, so I’m very, very proud of them,” Hamilton said.
Button, the 2009 F-One champion, said: “It was great to be on the podium with Lewis and also the new world champion (Vettel),” he said. (ANI)