‘Recalled’ Hughes says has exorcised his ‘chin music’ demons ahead of Perth TestBy ANI
Saturday, December 11, 2010
PERTH - Recalled Australian batsman Phillip Hughes insists that he “would not lose any sleep” over England’s plan to bounce him into Test oblivion.
Hughes has been summoned to replace injured Simon Katich for the third Test in Perth, which starts on Thursday.
The 22-year-old had burst on to the international scene with two hundreds in his second Test, against South Africa in March last year.
However, he was dropped from the Test side during last year’s Ashes series because England bowlers had successfully exposed his discomfort to short-balls into his body, which restricted his ability to play his favourite cut shot.
“I’ve been working on my game. There’s always a few things you can improve, but I won’t be making major changes,” News.com.au quoted Hughes, as saying.
“A lot has been said about my technique, but I know what’s worked for me over the last 10-15 years. The media have got a hold of it and gone on about the short ball. I’m not worried about it. I’m not concerned about the short ball at all,” he added.
The opening batsman further hit back at England captain Andrew Strauss’ remarks that his team had noted his different technique this season and are ready to hone in on what they perceive are his weaknesses.
“Strauss has come out and said a few things, but I feel confident and I’m happy for him to say anything, it’s what happens out in the field,” Hughes said. (ANI)