Eden Gardens likely to host remaining three World Cup matches: ICCBy ANI
Tuesday, February 8, 2011
KOLKATA - The International Cricket Council (ICC) on Tuesday announced that it was encouraged by the progress made towards completing the necessary construction work at Eden Gardens in Kolkata. he three-person ICC inspection team, which visited the ground on Monday, still believes that the outstanding work can be completed in time to host the three ICC Cricket World Cup 2011 matches, scheduled for Eden Gardens on March 15, 18 and 20.
Following the inspection, ICC Chief Executive Haroon Lorgat said: “We are pleased with the progress made since January 25 and if that pace of work is maintained, we believe that the stadium will be ready for the games scheduled in March.”
Earlier on January 27, the Jagmohan Dalmiya-led Cricket Association of Bengal (CAB) lashed out at the ICC and the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) for its decision to shift an India-England World Cup match from the Eden Gardens to Bangalore.
The ICC and the BCCI took the decision on the ground that the cricket stadium is still undergoing renovation and construction, and hence, would not be ready for the match.
Crying foul, the CAB said that the ground is match fit and termed the decision to shift the match as a “conspiracy” against Bengal cricket.
CAB officials said that they had not been informed by the ICC or the BCCI about the decision, and added that the ground is fully ready and the problem was only with the galleries.
Earlier, the International Cricket Council (ICC) had in consultation with the Indian cricket board decided to shift the 2011 World Cup match between India and England from the Eden Gardens here due to the delay in construction and renovation work.(ANI)