Wide-ranging scope for Shunglu panel; Consul second member (Second Lead)By IANS
Monday, October 25, 2010
NEW DELHI - The government Monday appointed Shantanu Consul, secretary in the Department of Personnel and Training, as the second member of the V.K. Shunglu Committee probing financial irregularities in the Commonwealth Games and gave wide-ranging scope for investigation to the panel.
The Shunglu Committee was appointed Oct 15, a day after the conclusion of the Games and tasked with probing wasteful expenditure, alleged misappropriation of money and wrongdoing — and fix responsibility.
The Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) made the announcement about Consul’s inclusion and released the terms of reference for the Shunglu Committee
Consul will assume charge after his retirement Oct 31. Shunglu is a former comptroller and auditor general (CAG) of India.
The Shunglu committee has been asked to submit its report within three months. The sports ministry will provide logistics to the committee.
The Committee has been asked to examine weaknesses in management, alleged misappropriation, irregularities, wasteful expenditure and wrongdoing in the conduct of the Oct 3-14 Games.
It has also been told to recommend action, a statement said.
The statement clarified that the various agencies like the CAG and the Central Vigilance Commission (CVC) would independently carry out their audit and investigation in accordance with their respective mandates on the Commonwealth Games.
The terms of references of the Sunglu committee include:
- The role and responsibilities of the signatories to the Host City Contract and the overall implications of the obligations entered into through the Host City Contract;
- The planning and execution of development projects related to the Games and contracts for service delivery, with reference to time, cost and quality;
- The issues relating to the effectiveness of the organizational structure and governance for organization, preparation and conduct of the Games at all levels, including the Organising Committee and its Key Areas.
- Examination of weaknesses and recommending action on the same;
- Financing the Games, including estimates of revenue and expenditure;
- Coordination amongst various agencies involved in the development of infrastructure and conduct of the Games;
- The role of international/national advisors/consultants/officials of the Organising Committee in the conduct of the Games;
- The overall impact of the Games including legacy for city infrastructure, sports infrastructure and sports development;
- The lessons learnt for the future, on each of the above, including establishment of a mechanism for laying down timeframes and effective monitoring, creation of a legally sustainable framework for hosting similar international sporting events.
The sports ministry will extend administrative and logistic support to the Committee. It will function from its office in Vigyan Bhawan, the notification said.
The Shunglu committee will also consider any complaint from the public, the terms of reference said.
The run-up to the Commonwealth Games have been marred by allegations of corruption by the opposition parties and complaints of a filthy Games Village and incomplete works by some foreign delegations.
Tags: New Delhi