Arsenal see off luckless Newcastle in Carling Cup

Thursday, October 28, 2010

LONDON - Arsenal reached the quarter-finals of the Carling Cup Wednesday with a 4-0 win over Newcastle United.

An own goal from Newcastle keeper Tim Krul gave them the lead, Theo Walcott added a controversial second before late goals from Nicklas Bendtner and Walcott again rounded off the win.

Stoke City and Aston Villa also made it through to the last eight.

Arsenal shaded a breezy first half at St James’ Park, and probably should have had a penalty when James Perch seemed to catch Johann Djourou in the midriff.

Bendnter had an early effort well-saved by Krul and Emmanuel Eboue then dragged wide when he probably should have cross, while Nile Ranger was unlucky having rounded keeper Wojciech Szczesny that the ball would not fall for him until Laurent Koscielny had got back to cover, and Alan Smith had a ferocious drive brilliantly tipped onto the bar by the Polish goalkeeper.

It was Arsenal, though, who took the lead in first-half injury time, with what was probably the messiest goal they’ve ever scored under Arsene Wenger.

As Krul flapped at a corner, the ball was only half-cleared and as it was returned, Bendtner headed it goalwards.

Koscielny possibly got a faint touch just in front of Krul, who missed the ball. Ryan Taylor headed it off the line, but the ball his Krul on the back and ricocheted in.

Walcott, marginally offside, added the second eight minutes after half-time, with Newcastle furious that offside had not been given, if not against Walcott then certainly against Bendtner, who was manifestly offside and seemed to interfere with Mike Williamson’s attempts to get back and cover.

Szczesny made a brace save from Andy Carroll as Newcastle briefly threatened a rally, but Cesc Fabregas broke with eight minutes remaining, laid the ball left to Bendtner, and the Dane cutting infield lashed a superb finish into the top corner.

Five minutes later, Walcott ran through to add a fourth that gave the score-line a distinctly flattering look.

At Villa Park, Aston Villa needed extra-time to beat Burnley 2-1.

Emile Heskey came off the bench to put Aston Villa ahead with four minutes of their tie against Burnley remaining, but Clarke Carlisle levelled in the final minute.

Stewart Downing restored Villa’s lead from outside the box six minutes into extra-time, and the Premier League side held on despite having Mark Albrighton sent off for a professional foul with 21 minutes left.

West Ham came from behind to beat Stoke City 3-1 at Upton Park.

Kenwyne Jones headed Stoke in front from Jermaine Pennant’s corner, his fifth goal in eight games for Stoke.

West Ham came back strongly in the second half, and James Tomkins had hit a post before Scott Parker headed in Pablo Barrera’s cross to level after 84 minutes.

Manuel da Costa latched onto Mark Noble’s pass to put West Ham ahead six minutes into extra time, and Victor Obinna sealed the win with two minutes remaining.

Filed under: Soccer

Tags: ,
will not be displayed