Oz flop-show at Gabba may force bowling changes for second Ashes Test: NielsenBy ANI
Tuesday, November 30, 2010
BRISBANE - Australian coach Tim Nielsen has said that his team has been forced to consider changes to their bowling attack after a poor showing on the final two days of the drawn first Ashes Test at the Gabba.
Australia, seeking to regain the Ashes following last year’s 2-1 loss in England, failed to win the Test match despite taking a handsome 221-run lead in the first innings.
It is the first time Australia has failed to win at the Gabba since 2003.
“It’s something we’ve got to think about,” Fox Sports quoted Nielsen, as saying.
“Certainly something we are aware of,” he added.
Nielsen admitted that the Australians would have their work cut out to take 20 wickets on the traditionally unforgiving Adelaide surface.
“That’s the challenge in Adelaide always,” Nielsen said.
Australia has recalled fast bowlers Doug Bollinger and Ryan Harris for the Test, beginning in Adelaide on Friday.
Australian bowlers managed to take only wicket in England’s second innings, which will bring both Bollinger and Harris into calculations as they have now proved their fitness in Sheffield Shield matches for their states.
Playing for the New South Wales, Bollinger picked up two wickets against Western Australia, while Harris, who has been troubled by a knee complaint, picked up five wickets (4-31 and 1-23) for Queensland against Victoria at the MCG.
Bollinger has picked up 47 wickets at an average of 22.02 in his past 10 matches, but has been out of action since the recent tour of India due to a side strain.
Mitchell Johnson and Ben Hilfenhaus are both vulnerable after taking just one wicket between them in Brisbane in a combined 93 overs.
Johnson went wicketless (0-170 in 42 overs) for the first time in his 39 Tests, and has taken just 11 wickets at 55.36 from his past six Tests. (ANI)