Hughes hits out at Oz selectors, says resting Johnson ridiculousBy ANI
Friday, December 10, 2010
MELBOURNE - Former Australia skipper Kim Hughes has said that resting out of form fast bowler Mitchell Johnson before a likely recall for the third Ashes cricket test would be lunacy, and criticized selectors for being “too precious” with bowlers.
Johnson was omitted after finishing with figures of 0-170 during the drawn first test in Brisbane, but was included for the third Test at Perth.
He had been rested from playing state cricket duty this weekend so that he could work with bowling coaches on his technique, sparking speculation that selectors had pinned their hopes on the 29-year-old finding line and length in time for Perth.
England lead the five-test series 1-0.
“Resting Johnson would be absolutely ridiculous. The bloke couldn’t bowl a hoop down a hill. He’s spent a week in the nets and now he’s going to spend another week in the nets,” Hughes told the Herald Sun newspaper.
“It’s insane. We need this bloke bowling in match conditions. I don’t care how much work you do in the nets, you need to bowl in the middle,” he said.
Hughes accused selectors of mollycoddling Johnson. “It’s pathetic. These blokes get a million dollars a year and it’s too much for him to bowl for Western Australia and back up for a Test match,” he added. (ANI)