India suffer fourth innings defeat against Proteas (First Test highlights)By IANS
Monday, December 20, 2010
CENTURION - India’s loss to South Africa in the first cricket Test at the Super Sport Park here Monday was their fourth innings defeat against the Proteas.
Other highlights of the match:
* India (459) posted their highest total against South Africa in South Africa, surpassing the 414 at Cape Town in 2006-07.
* India’s 459 is the highest when they have lost a Test match by an innings.
* Against India, South Africa have won four Tests by an innings margin but their first against India at home.
* South Africa’s victory by an innings and 25 runs is their third biggest against India in Tests - the two largest are by an innings and 90 runs at Ahmedabad in April 2008 and by an innings and 71 runs at Bangalore in 1999-2000.
* South Africa’s victory Monday is their 12th in 25 Tests against India - six lost and seven drawn for a 48 percent success rate.
* Under Graeme Smith’s leadership, South Africa have won 38, lost 23 and drawn 20 out of 81 Tests played - a 46.91 winning percentage.
* Sachin Tendulkar (37 & 111*) top-scored in both the innings in the Centurion Test - a feat recorded by him five times. He has top-scored 47 times in an innings.
* Tendulkar has posted 20 centuries for a winning cause, 11 for a losing cause and 19 in drawn games.
* Jacques Kallis received his first Man Of the Match award against India and his 21st overall.
* Kallis became the third South African all-rounder to register a double hundred and claim two wickets in the same Test match - the first two were Aubrey Faulkner against Australia at Melbourne in 1910-11 and Eddie Barlow against Australia at Adelaide in 1963-64.