Semenya likely to participate in the GamesBy IANS
Tuesday, September 28, 2010
SYDNEY - South African women’s 800m world champion Caster Semenya is still training for the Oct 3-14 Commonwealth Games even as doubts linger over her participation in the mega event.
Semenya’s coach Michael Seme had sparked fears of her pullout after he reported on her back pain during the training. He, however, sounded optimistic Tuesday.
“She is still coming to India,” Seme told the Sydney Morning Herald. “She has some back pain, but we are still preparing for the Commonwealth Games. The time for preparation has been very short, but she will still be in Delhi.”
Earlier, South Africa’s men’s 800m world champion Mbulaeni Mulaudzi had been ruled out of the Commonwealth Games due to a hamstring injury.
Tubby Reddy, CEO of the South African Sports Confederation and Olympic Committee (SASCOC), has said no athlete will be allowed to skip the Games and the ones who are claiming injury will be medically examined, the Sport 24 website reported.
The Games have suffered high-profile pullouts with Usain Bolt, Asafa Powell, Phillips Idowu, David Rudisha and John Steffensen deciding not to show up in Delhi. Australian champion discus thrower Dani Samuels and four world-class British cyclists, including world champion Geraint Thomas, also decided against going to Delhi over health and security concerns.