Cricket South Africa says sorry over announcing Gibbs contract end prematurelyBy ANI
Monday, December 6, 2010
Johannesburg (S. Africa), - Cricket South Africa has formally apologized to former opener Herschelle Gibbs for the way they prematurely announced the end of his contract.
Cricket South Africa had issued a press release stating that Gibbs’ contract had been cancelled, but its officials were forced to apologize two days later. A joint statement with Gibbs was also issued, reports the Daily Express.
The statement, quoting CSA chief executive Gerald Majola, read: “Following amicable discussions, and in the best interests of South African cricket, CSA and Gibbs have agreed to terminate Gibbs’ National Cricketer Contract by mutual consent.
“It has been agreed that this is the best way forward for both parties.
“On behalf of CSA, I would like to wish Herschelle all the best for his future and to thank him for the contribution he has made to the successes of the Proteas over an extended period of time.”
Gibbs, who remains eligible for selection for South Africa, has been given a ‘no objection certificate’ to allow him to play in a Twenty20 competition in New Zealand later this month.
He said: “I’d like to thank CSA, my team-mates and especially the public for the unbelievable support over the years.” (ANI)