Mancini says Man City’s future bright after Tevez retention sagaBy ANI
Wednesday, December 22, 2010
LONDON - Coach Roberto Mancini believes Manchester City’s future is bright after star striker Carlos Tevez withdrew his transfer request.
With ten goals already this season, Tevez has become a key figure in City’s challenge for silverware, and Mancini is adamant City can now look forward with renewed vigour.
“Carlos is a world class player whose contribution since he joined the club has been invaluable,” the Daily Mail quoted the Italian coach, as saying.
He added: “I am pleased that we are now able to focus on pure football matters and are able to look forward to Carlos continuing to play a significant role in the club’s progress.”
Mancini also ensured Tevez kept the captaincy last night, something that looked highly unlikely until his abrupt U-turn.
Apparently, it came after a direct intervention from chairman Khaldoon al-Mubarak, who met with Tevez on Sunday, before further talks that included chief executive Garry Cook.ulling in the right direction: Roberto Mancini is delighted to have Tevez on board Enough common ground was found for Tevez to withdraw his transfer request, even though it had been claimed part of his reason for wanting to quit was because of his family, who are back home in Argentina after being unable to settle in the UK.
Tevez also appears to have put to one side his relationships with Cook and director of football development Brian Marwood, which he had claimed were broken ‘beyond repair’.
“The situation has been cleared up and everything has gone in a good way. It was important that we stopped talking about this situation. We are happy about that,” Mancini said. (ANI)