Proteas restrict Windies in Basseterre Test

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

BASSETERRE - South Africa has restricted the West Indies to a three-run first innings lead in the second Test being played here. The match appeared to be heading for a draw at the end of the fourth day’s play on Monday.

Fast bowler Morne Morkel finished with 4-116 from 34.1 overs, as West Indies were dismissed for 546 about 45 minutes before the rescheduled close, replying to the South Africans’ first innings of 543 for six declared.

Graeme Smith and Alviro Petersen then batted through the remaining time to carry the Proteas to 0-23 at the close on the fourth day at Warner Park.

Before lunch, the South Africans were made to endure the slow grind from Chanderpaul and Bravo, which was interrupted by a 16-minute break for rain.

The Proteas’ bowlers endured a fruitless toil, as West Indies reached 463 for four at lunch, after they continued from their overnight total of 424 for four.

The docile pitch hamstrung South Africa’s bowlers, and Chanderpaul and Bravo showed no great urgency in gathering runs.

The closest the South Africans came to buying a wicket came in the first half-hour, when Bravo edged a delivery from Dale Steyn between slip and gully for his second boundary.

But the Proteas snared four wickets - two to left-arm spinner Paul Harris - to bring the Test back to life before tea.

South Africa hit a rich vein, as West Indies slipped to 502 for eight at the break.

Harris struck, when he held a return catch to dismiss Shivnarine Chanderpaul for the top score of 166, then had Dwayne Bravo caught behind for 53 to finish with two for 165 runs from 62 overs.

This was a purple patch for the South Africans, as West Indies slipped from 471 for four to 486 for eight.

Chanderpaul, whose innings included 10 fours and one six from 357 balls in just over eight hours, and Bravo added an even 100 from 330 balls for the fifth wicket.

South Africa lead the three-Test series 1-0. (ANI)

Filed under: Sports

Tags: ,
will not be displayed